I did something stupid ?

R. W. list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sat Aug 7 18:54:50 PDT 2004

Sound like what you actually did was upgrade to  FreeBSD-CURRENT
which is bleeding edge (and probably closer to 5.3 than 5.21), and then
downgraded to 5.2.1.

If you couldn't build the kernel then you shouldn't actually have
installed anything yet. In that case I would leave it and see if you
can get back on track with 5.3-RELEASE (subject to anyone more
knowledgable answering).

I don't really see why you would be having trouble booting, unless you
installed something, out of sequence. Have you tried booting the
previous kernel?