5.2-current: device pcm

Hanspeter Roth hampi at rootshell.be
Sat Aug 7 09:18:37 PDT 2004

  On Aug 07 at 17:41, Radek Kozlowski spoke:

> Read /usr/src/UPDATING:
>
> 20040716:
>         The sound device drivers are renamed.  `sound' is always required,
>         while `snd_*' should be configured accordingly to your hardware.
>         Refer to NOTES for the detail of the drivers.

I have now added `device sound' to the kernel configuration. But
this doesn't make the sound module available. Also there isn't a
/dev/mixer*.

What does snd_* mean?
I tried to add `device snd_pcm'. But this isn't accepted by config.
Dmesg shows:

pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 31.5 (no driver attached)

What else is required?

-Hanspeter