Connecting to the Net (was: Re: BigApache [..])

DK asdzxc111 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 06:17:42 PDT 2004

Hi Bill et al,

1)
Using /stand/sysinstall & trying to download packages from the freeBSD site, I
get the ERROR prompt:

---------------
"Cannot resolve hostname 'ftp.freebsd.org'! Are you sure that your name server,
gateway and network interface are correctly configured ?"
---------------

I have a Cable Broadband Connection. Does this error mean that my DHCP is not
configured correctly or is it something else ???

2)
When trying to connect to my ISP's update-server(which you don't need to be
authenticated to access) I get this ERROR even though my Cable connection is
ON, Connected & Working:

-------------------------
200# ftp update-server
ftp: update-server: No address associated with hostname
-------------------------

Is this the same problem as above ???

3)
I have in my rc.conf file

ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
hostname="127.0.0.1"

should the "hostname" be the dynamically allocated address that my ISP assigns
when I turn on my Cable Modem or should I leave it as 127.0.0.1 ???

If there is anything else that you think that I may be missing in trying to
connect to the net, please let me know ;)

Kind Regards,

DK