What's the best possible email failover solution

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Sat Aug 7 04:40:17 PDT 2004

* Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> [20040622 00:57]: wrote:
> Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 05:25:20PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> >
> > > The return can be significant.  The company I am doing this for provides IMAP
> > > mail services for business.  If a filesystem crashes and service is down for a
> > > while, we can easily lose clients.  If we had some sort of failover, we'd be
> > > able to just switch the IP on the backup machine and life would be good.
> > >
> > > "long way to go" is what I'm trying to establish.  I was hoping to find
> > > something workable without reinventing the wheel.  For example, Postgresql can
> > > do real-time replication between two Postgresql servers using Slony.  If I can
> > > find an IMAP server that will keep the mail folders in PostgreSQL, I've got my
> > > failover system ... tada!
> >
> >     http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/DovecotPostgresql
>
> Unfortunately, this only keeps the user database in Postgresql, but not the
> mailboxes themselves.  We already have the equivalent of this using LDAP, and
> I'm in the process of setting up a slave LDAP server for redundancy.
>
> It's the mailboxes themselves that are difficult to get.  Best we've got right
> now is backing up the Cyrus mail folders using rsync ... but this is very time-
> consuming, and (thus) only done once a day.  In order for it to be done right,
> Cyrus has to be shut down while it's backing up.

Hello Bill and everyone,

I know it is already August. I did not read this list all this
time, leave alone the thread!
But anyway, Bill says they use LDAP, yes? How about this solution:

# High Availability Mail server
http://bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=99
http://bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=100

Looks like what Bill wanted, no?

-Wash

    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121