Updating local copy of documentation

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Fri Aug 6 12:24:57 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 03:41:19PM +1200, Tom Munro Glass wrote:
> When you install FreeBSD, lots of useful documentation is installed in the
> articles and books directories under /usr/share/doc/ including the essential
> handbook.
>
> Is there a way of automatically updating this documentation - I thought that
> maybe this was done as a part of cvsup, make buildworld, etc, but apparently
> not? I realise that I can download the latest version with FTP, but it would
> be nice if this could be done as part of the normal maintenance tasks.

You can get the latest version of hte docs using CVSup.  This is the
CVSUP file I use for that very purpose:

## BEGIN
*default host=cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
doc-all
## END

Naturally, you will want to change the host= to one near to you.

To have the docs updated when you do a `make update', you need to ensure
that you have `DOCSUPFILE=/path/to/doc-supfile' set in /etc/make.conf.

To save time and disk space, you can also tell the build system to only
build docs in one language, using `DOC_LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1' in
/etc/make.conf

Once you have gotten the latest sources,

# cd /usr/doc
# make all install clean

and all should be well.  Note that you will need to install the
textproc/docproj port to be able to build the docs from the source.  You
can get more info at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \