CVS Questions

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 11:55:56 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 01:28:04AM -0400, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> I was contemplating banging together a quick script to find the fastest
> CVS mirrors which essentially tries to retrieve a small distribution from
> all the available CVS servers.  Does this seem like the type of thing that
> would be well-recieved into the base-distro or ports?  Or would it simply
> be seen as putting extra load on the CVS servers?

What? Like /usr/ports/sysutils/fastest_cvsup/ ?  You'ld be reinventing
the wheel.

> An optional thing I would be interested in putting in this is the ability
> to disfavor any server which was close to its access limit.  Is there any
> support in the protocol for knowing which user out of how many you are?

Not so far as I know.  However, a machine with too many active cvsup
clients will tend to slow down quite significantly, so the 'find
fastest server' type script above generally steers you towards the
more lightly loaded servers.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way