Moving vinum drives to a new system?

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Wed Aug 4 20:40:15 PDT 2004

Am not so much as moving the vinum drives so much as replacing the
system drive FreeBSD 5.2.1 was installed upon. The same system which
created my striped vinum volume.

System drive was a parallel ATA 40G. Two SATA 160G drives were used to
create a striped vinum volume with the simple vinum command "stripe -v
/dev/ad4s1d /dev/ad6s1d". This worked great for a week before I started
moving HD's.

Now for fun I have removed the 40G drive and replaced it with a 120G
and reinstalled FreeBSD 5.2.1 scratch from CD without touching the 160G
drives. Would like to get my vinum'ed filesystem back online. Was at
least half under the impression vinum stored everything important in
the drive labels and once vinum started all would magically be working
again. Vinum is not creating the device to mount my fs with.

I'm lost in the documentation and archives as to how to get them back
together as a volume without losing data. Part of the idea here it to
learn when I'm not under the gun. I still have the original 40G drive
untouched.

# vinum list
2 drives:
D vinumdrive1  State: up  /dev/ad6s1d     A: 156041/156041 MB (100%)
D vinumdrive0  State: up  /dev/ad4s1d     A: 156041/156041 MB (100%)

0 volumes:
0 plexes:
0 subdisks:
#