Can i make a CD of the Ports Collection

R. W. list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed Aug 4 14:13:01 PDT 2004

Just a thought, but do you actually need an up-to-date
ports collection. If you are trying things out, and frequently
reinstalling you may be better-off with the one on the disk.

One of the big pitfalls in FreeBSD (and Gentoo Linux) is
that new users install something like gnome, from the
disk packages, and then sync-up their ports and bring in
a new version. They are then left with a major rebuild
(which may require a special recipe or script), or face
build problems with new ports.

Even worse, there can be problems with current ports
and old world versions. Ports started breaking on 5.1
almost immediately after 5.2 was released.