C include question

Jason Dusek jason-dusek at uiowa.edu
Wed Aug 4 10:20:08 PDT 2004

Hi,

I would like to compile some OpenGL stuff on my BSD box. Unfortunately, the GL
libraries are not in /usr/include/GL - they are in /usr/X11R6/include/GL and my
C compiler does not see that by default.

One easy way around this is, I think, to just soft link /usr/X11R6/include/* to
/usr/include/ - but that would defeat the point of seperating the X11 includes
from the system includes. What is the right way to set this up so that my C
compiler, no matter which one it is, will always find the GL libraries? Is there
some kind of 'cc.conf' somewhere in the same sense as there is a 'make.conf'?

I am new to C - in fact this OpenGL stuff is my first exposure to it. I'm sure
that this is an elementary question, and the only reason that I post it to the
list is that I am trying to find a way to solve my problem that is more in
keeping with BSD philosophy than simply moving /usr/X11R6/include into /usr/include.

_jason