Headless Install

Maksym Marchenko marchenk at in.tum.de
Mon Aug 2 23:54:30 PDT 2004

>> I try to install 4.10 on headless PC(without a monitor and vga output)
>> So I've used my laptop as a serial console (via null modem cable).
>> All was wonderfull, but after end of install procedure und reboot,
>> I see with this terminal (cu -l /dev/cuaa0) all and the date for
>> the login line. But not the login prompt. So I can't to log in and
>> do anything.
>> What have I to do, to log in this headless PC?
>
> Maksym, you need to start a getty process on the serial line,
> by editing /etc/ttys like this:
>

> console none                            unknown off secure
> ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
> ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
> ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
> ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
> ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
> ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
> ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
> ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure
> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on secure
> ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
>
> In /stand/sysinstall (or /usr/sbin/sysinstall), you can edit
> ttys.
>
> I'm running 5.2-CURRENT on net4801 Soekris hardware, and this
> is exaclty what is needed to get login prompt on the serial
> console.

Thanks! It works pre[tty] good! :-)
I have two more questions :

Sometimes I see warning:
terminal is not fully functional.
So I can't edit kernel file mit ee - the text is shown "shifted" in their
lines.
Must I use another terminal program to help this?

And what you can do with "headless" PC? Can you control this PC only in
command prompt? Or (may be) you can use anything like X - twm?

Thanks in advance.