FreeBSD 5.2.1 kernel w/ SMP under high load = panic

Chuck Rock carock at epconline.com
Mon Aug 2 17:07:40 PDT 2004

I had a similar problem with this release running on any Dell 2550 Rack
server I had. I tried three different servers with the same config, and I
had kernel panics at various times. All of them had different information
on the screen at each panic.

I had several people tel lme they had no such problems with the same
systems.

I chalked it up to bad driver for the PERC3/DC raid controller. All panics
seemd to happen under very high disk I/O. The machine would run fine for a
few days, then just puke.

I moved all the stuff over to a refurb Compaq Dual Xeon 2.8, and have had
only one problem lockup in the 5 months I've been running it under
increasing loads. The last lockup I had also seemed related to disk I/O.

Otherwise, 5.2.1 has been a very stable production server processing over
1 million E-mail's a day incoming and hundred thousand out.

Chuck