One OR MORE of source and destination addresses?

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Mon Aug 2 11:16:04 PDT 2004

JJB wrote:

> Your rules are all wrong. You really need to reread the ipfw manual
> page info. Only one check-state rule is used. Your other check-state
> rule is never matched.

Ok, I got a check-state too many.

> To get meaningful replies you have to post complete information
> about your system configuration with description of your overall
> firewall goals.

The goal is simple: I want to limit connections to port 25 to 32 in total,
targeted at "me". And of those 32, only 4 per source. Like so:

ipfw add 1 check-state
ipfw add 11 allow tcp from any to me 25 setup limit dst-addr 32
ipfw add 12 allow tcp from any to me 25 setup limit src-addr 4

Please, tell me then how "all wrong" this is. Because I *still* get the
impression that rule 12 is never reached. And, so far, "ipfw show" does,
indeed, only show activity on rule 11.

Thanks,

- Mark