Chess for Kids (and dummies like dads)

Damon Butler damon at hddesign.com
Mon Aug 2 11:02:27 PDT 2004

> if you haven't already tried it, visit sf.net and plug 'chess' into the
> search window.  it will probably return a bunch of programs, including some
> which are java based.

Thanks. I'll try that out.

> fwiw, i thought that gnuchess had level settings.  are you certain that
> even level 1 is too difficult for your needs?

That could be part of the problem. There are no generalized level
settings for the chess engines I've found. Apparently, computer chess is
quite the discipline, involving plies and nodes and hash tables and who
knows what else. As best I can understand, the most I can do to weaken
the engine is to restrict the amount of time it has to think over moves
and the search depth it is allowed to consider. In xboard, I've set
pondering off (so the engine doesn't think when it's not its turn),
forced the engine to move after only 1 second of consideration (the
minimum time), and restricted the depth to 1 ply or node or whatever.
Even doing all that, gnuchess and crafty are much stronger than that old
MacChess program I talked about. If there's more I can do to make them
more kid-friendly, I'm all ears.

--Damon