BigApache for Windows - Why doesn't BSD have an installer package like this ???

Mark Jayson Alvarez jay2xra at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 07:57:50 PDT 2004

DK wrote:

> I edited rc.conf & added the line: amd_enable="YES"

> However, my devices(Floppy & CDROM) are not
> automounting after logging in or
> starting X  ???

You can also edit /etc/fstab and then add whatever
device you want to automount at startup. Its already
self explanatory. Under the Options tab is where you
would specify if the device should be: ro->read only,
rw->readwrite. By default, all devices that are listed
there are automounted into their corresponding mount
point at startup. You will notice that your cdrom
contains "noauto" in options tab, so that it won't be
automounted at startup. Just erase that "noauto" thing
ok?? As I've said its all self explanatory, if you
find any more trouble with that, do a "man fstab"

BTW: automount requires something to mount, so if you
delete the "noauto" options of you cdrom, in
/etc/fstab, you should always put something inside
your cdrom... perhaps a cd... i guess.=)

> I have some other problems as well:
>
> 1) Trying to search for a file I get the error:
>
> 127# locate mysql
> locate: database too small: /var/db/locate.database

Try "find /usr/../anypathwilldo -name "anystring" -ls

> 2) I deleted the installed package xfce4, then added
> it again but xfce4 still
> won't start. Is the warnings(about versions) given

In some cases of installing through packages,
dependency version is an issue, in some cases, its
not. Why not try it on your self.. Collect the proper
version and then run it again. I've been through a lot
of this scenarios.

> trying to run it:

> 127# ./install. sh
> ./install.: Command not found.
> 127# ./install sh
> ./install: Command not found.
> 127# ./install
> ./install: Command not found.
<--chomp-->

What the!??!<S>>#$....=)
Sir... the script file is "install.sh" you should
run.. "sh install.sh" or "./install.sh". You should
not separate sh from install like what you did.

Two useful tips with regards to file and filenames in
Unix world..

1. They are CASE sensitive. You should type exactly as
it is written.
2. Extensions are just "decorations" unlike in Windows
where executables end in .exe
In Unix, it doesn't matter how its filename is
written.

I remember way back in March of this year, the first
time I ever installed FreeBSD in my pc, I was also
asking most of the questions you've been asking in
this list. I have even asked this very dumb question:
"Who Am I mailing to??" and received so much soul-
uplifting reponses, mostly from the names that have
been replying to you lately..

The moral of the story:
No question is the "most dumb" or the "most stupid" if
you will just ask it in also a "most polite"or "most
down-to-earth" manner.

I've been reading all of your "rants" lately and just
kept quiet because I know that those names that have
been replying to you where the kindest, most
experienced, most humble persons in this list. I just
couldn't imagine how did they ever ran out of their
patience and have treated you such a "troll".=)

Goodluck sir!!

Mark Jayson Alvarez
Polytechnic University of the Philippines
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
2000-2004