BIND problem

Dave Hart davehart at davehart.com
Fri Apr 30 02:28:38 PDT 2004

> I installed a FreeBSD 5.2.1 with BIND. I'll use BIND only for
> caching DNS for the clients. The server has two interfaces;
> 192.0.0.1 is the IP of the internal interface.

This is a really bad idea.  192.0.0.0/8 is not unused for you to squat on.
Try one of the following safe-for-private-use netblocks.  See also RFC 1918.

10.0.0.0/8
172.16.0.0/12
192.168.0.0/16

I suspect your nameserver is sourcing queries from 192.0.0.1 and the replies
are not coming back, because that address doesn't belong to you.

Dave Hart