Acer TravelMate 212TX Laptop, AGP error of sorts.

Markie mark.cullen at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 29 17:38:20 PDT 2004

Hello All,

I have just just aquired the laptop in the title and have tried FreeSBIE
(1.0?) on it, the one based on 5.2.1-R. It fails to boot normally, the only
option that appears to half work is safe mode otherwise it'll hang at some
IP thing: "IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.".

With safe mode, it is able to boot providing at the Init local packages bit
I press ctrl+c (otherwise it panics... more on that later :o) Right now I
have got it running and it'll start X and everything fine, I am quite
chuffed. However in dmesg I just noticed something the panic may be related
too:

agp0: <Ali Generic host to PCI bridge> mem 0xe0000000-0xe3fffff at device
0.0 on pci0
agp0: bad initial aperture size, disabling
device_probe_and_attach: agp0 attach returned 6

I am guessing this is broken hardware? Anyway, in safe mode the panic
occurs (whenever I load any kernel module by the looks of it) is: (be
warned, this probably isn't really all that helpful but I am waiting for a
hard disk to arrive... then I may be able to build a debug kernel if it's
needed?)

agp0: <Ali Generic host to PCI bridge> mem 0xe0000000-0xe3ffffff at device
0.0 on pci0
panic: resource_list_alloc: resource entry is busy

I tried just booting a normal earlier 5.1-R CD which gave a different panic
along the lines of:

contigmalloc0: size must not be 0

Any help would be much appreciated, i'd like to try and use FreeBSD on this
laptop if at all possible :o)