Weird messages in daily run report.

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Apr 29 12:29:26 PDT 2004

samy lancher wrote:
> Hey,
> thanks for the response. what does messages like below mean?Are
> they generated from my server?.
>
> 4 CORNERSTONE.COMSMTPNEMETHL
> 1 cornerstone.comSubject
> 1 cornerstone.comSMTPsacsup
> 1 cornerstone.comSMTPgilest
> 1 cornerstone.comSMTProbertst
> 1 cornerstone.comSMTProbertse__substg1.0_300B0102
> 1 cornerstone.comSMTProbertse
> cornerstone.com being our domain name and the names after SMTP are our
> usernames.

AFAIK, it's still machine names that were rejected.

While I haven't seen this myself, it's likely that spammers are hoping
to fool your server into relaying by using a domain name that matches
your own (in the hopes that this would convince the SMTP program that
it should relay email)

This is only a guess, though.  I don't know of any SMTP servers that
are vunlerable to such a trick, and I don't know that it's ever been
used before.  You might want to try subscribing to a more SMTP-related
list and asking there, as you may hit more people who are familiar
with this problem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies