failed php4 install...can't figure this one out

Mikkel Christensen mikkel at talkactive.net
Thu Apr 29 10:17:51 PDT 2004

On Thursday 29 April 2004 16:22, Jason Williams wrote:
> After that, I tried installing the following port:
>
> /usr/ports/lang/php4
>
> Granted, i'm not entirely familiar with php and noticed there are quite a
> few variations of what i can install.
> When it came down to selecting what I wanted to build PHP with, I left the
> defaults selected, but made sure GD and MySQL were selected.
>
> After it crunched for awhile, I got the following error:
>
> configure: error: libjpeg.(a|so) not found.
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> Please report the problem to ale at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
> "/usr/ports/lang/php4/work/php-4.3.6/config.log" including the output of the
> failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea to provide an
> overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/lang/php4.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/lang/php4.

You should not install ports directly from the /usr/ports/lang directory.
The content here seems to be ports that other ports use in a combination. Not stand alone ports.
My guess is that /usr/ports/lang/php4 propably does not have a dependency list and therefore required ports are not installed automatically.
Instead, try /usr/ports/www/mod_php4 or /usr/ports/www/php4-cgi

That will work - i hope:)

- Mikkel