OpenLdap question

Darryl Hoar darryl at osborne-ind.com
Wed Apr 28 14:20:30 PDT 2004

Greetings,
I am trying to setup OpenLdap 2.0.25 from ports,
on Freebsd 5.1-release. everything is installed no
problem.  openldap is started and shows running
in the process list.

when I try to ldapadd, I get the error:

ldap_bind:  Can't contact LDAP server.

I have started and stopped it, with no change in
the error.  The log shows clean without error.

when I netstat -a, I see:

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp6       0      0  *.ldap                 *.*                    LISTEN

among other entries.  this is the only one for ldap though.

It appears to only be listening for tcp6 protocol, not tcp4.  How do I
change this ?

thanks,
Darryl