ProFTP

K. Worley k.worley at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 01:12:07 PDT 2004

Jason Suplizio wrote:

> Greetings,
> Please help: I've spent a good 4-5 hours trying to get ProFTP up and running on my fresh FreeBSD 5.1 install - during which I have read everything that I could get my hands/eyes on and tried every trick I could find.  Essentially, I am trying to set up ftp accounts for 3 users, each with there own unique username/password login - which are working as verified by ssh - to use as a java servlet dev box.
>
> The problem: I can not establish an FTP connection to port 21. When it appears that I have an ftp connection, there is no directory listing nor a list of the remote files. I have a small firewall (built-in to my router), and have opened up ports 20 & 21. At one point I got a "PAM(username) authentication error" - but everything looked good (to my eyes) in the /etc/pam.d/ftp & ftpd files.

have you set the "AuthPAMAuthoritative            off" setting in the
/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf ?

> I have the server running in standalone mode and is not enabled as inetd service:
>
> [suplizio at dakota:~] $ ps -auxf | grep ftpd
> nobody     662  0.0  0.7  2144 1672  ??  Ss   11:22PM   0:00.01 proftpd: (accepting connections) (proftpd)
>
> [suplizio at dakota:~] $ head /etc/inetd.conf
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/inetd.conf,v 1.61 2002/11/12 17:31:11 obrien Exp $
> #
> # Internet server configuration database
> #
> # Define *both* IPv4 and IPv6 entries for dual-stack support.
> # To disable a service, comment it out by prefixing the line with '#'.
> # To enable a service, remove the '#' at the beginning of the line.
> #
> #ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/proftpd  proftpd
>
> [suplizio at dakota:~] $ tail /var/log/messages
> Apr 27 23:22:05 dakota sudo: suplizio : TTY=ttyp0 ; PWD=/usr/local/libexec ; USER=root ; COMMAND=./proftpd start
> Apr 27 23:22:05 dakota proftpd[662]: dakota.suplizio.net - ProFTPD 1.2.8 (stable) (built Tue Apr 27 12:30:22 PDT 2004) standalone mode STARTUP
> Apr 27 23:27:48 dakota proftpd[665]: dakota.******.*** (************) - FTP no transfer timeout, disconnected
> Apr 27 23:33:51 dakota proftpd[680]: dakota.******.*** (************) - FTP no transfer timeout, disconnected
>  I am running the default /usr/local/etc proftpd.conf file  - which looks something like this:
>
> ServerName                      "ProFTPD Default Installation"
> ServerType                      standalone
> DefaultServer                   on
>
> Port                            21
>
> Umask                           022
>
> MaxInstances                    30
>
> User                            nobody
> Group                           nogroup
>
> <Directory />
>   AllowOverwrite                on
> </Directory>

You are authentication a system account from what I gather.
If so I think you have to have it running as an inetd service.

Also are the firewall settings correct?
Are you forwarding port 21 and 20?
Both are needed for ftp connections.