Bind/named Error check_hints?

questions questions at zeus.davez.org
Tue Apr 27 05:22:25 PDT 2004

At every boot/restart (power outage this weekend) I see a error that
repeats over and over in my /var/log/messages file that reads like this =
____________________snip____________________________
named[83]sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)

At the end of this repeated message which accumulates in my
/var/log/messages file the last message reads like this =
____________________snip______________________________
check_hints: A records for B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET class 1 do not match hint
records

This activity fills up my drive to the point of running out of space =
____________________snip____________________________
pid 81 (syslogd), uid 0 on /var: file system full

I am running FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p4 #4 and named 8.3.6-REL-p1

I googled/searched around and found a couple of attempts to correct this
issue by others which included downloading a new updated named.root file
and putting it in the /etc/namedb dir or changing instructs to resolvers
only which were supposed to have corrected the issue for some, but didn't
work for me. I'm in no way a top notch guru with FreeBSD but am willing to
learn. So far all my man ***.xxx or cat xxx.*** efforts have failed me on
this issue. Any help anyone can provide/suggest would be very appreciated.

Dave Lajoie
dave at davez.org