Suexec with Apache 1.3.29

Mikkel Christensen mikkel at talkactive.net
Tue Apr 27 02:16:49 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 08:55, Peter Risdon wrote:
> Mikkel Christensen wrote:
> >On Monday 26 April 2004 21:49, Marty Landman wrote:
> >>At 05:26 PM 4/26/2004, Mikkel Christensen wrote:
> >>Sounds like suexec didn't get compiled into Apache, at least the one you're
> >>running.
> >>
> >But in that case apache would complain the the User and Group keyword didn't exits. Just like it does with a non suexec installation.
> >A webserver without suexec refuses to start if it encounters User or Group in the configuration.
> >
> One thing occurs to me - you are obviously using php. php scripts under
> apache do not by default run as cgi under mod_php and so even with
> suexec compiled successfully into your apache, these will still run as
> the default apache user.
>
> To alter this behaviour, you need to compile php to provide the cgi
> version of the interpreter.
>
> I posted a mail here a couple of months ago discussing this, because
> there is then a problem if users, especially on a multi-homed system,
> are using the non-cgi version of php. It is possible to have both, and
> also the command line interpreter, but only with a little bit of
> fiddling about.
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-February/037878.html

Thanks for your input.
I'm not interested in running php as CGI at the moment though.
The princip of asking all users to add the #!/usr/local/bin/php is something I predict would give great problems in a production enviroment.

Apparently this path makes php run under suexec though it doen't run as a usual cli cgi-script.: http://www.localhost.nl/patches/
This I might look into latter. For now if I can just get suexec to work it will be the foundation for any latter configuration.

/Mikkel