DSL bridges

Reid Linnemann lreid at okstate.edu
Tue Apr 27 00:12:21 PDT 2004

I am about to venture off school campus, and I'll be subscribing to an ADSL
provider for net access. I'm pretty well seasoned in my IP knowledge, but I'm
pretty foreign to leased line connectivity.

I'm planning on ditching the modem+router+firewall magic fluff boxes because
I'm a control freak and I want complete control over what routes, what
firewall is in place (and that configuring it is sensible), and plain old BSD
robustness. So I'm going to get a DSL bridge (modem) and use PPPoE or PPPoA to
establish connection.

I'm trying to decide on a modem. I have had good experiences with USR and
Zoom; they're always made damn good modems. I've found one item from each
company that fits the bill for what I want - the Zoom 5515 DSL bridge and
USR's 9002-ISP bridge. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with
these pieces of hardware with any BSD, and what recommendations you may have.
I plan on having either a FreeBSD or NetBSD box be the router behind the
bridge for the local net, and I'd like to tackle any potential problems before
I go out buying equipment.