mail questions

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Apr 26 10:29:14 PDT 2004

Darryl Hoar wrote:
> I need to setup a mail server for our internal use.

Overall, you're looking at a number of different programs to
handle everything.

> I would like a mail server that would allow the user to log in
> through a web interface and set account properties.  Like,
> setup a forward should they need to be out of the office.

IMP or Squirrelmail will handle most of this.  Once you've got
Postfix or the like handling basic SMTP services.

> Users prodominately use Outlook.  I know, I know.  I can't
> get that changed.  At least not now, but I'm working on it.

Use an IMAP server to allow Outlook to connect.  There are
too many choices in this department to list.

> I would also like to setup sharable address books.

Here, you probably want an LDAP database.  OpenLDAP is the
place to start.

> Any ideas, pointers, etc glady accepted.

Hope this gets you started.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies