Garbage collection of installed packages

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 26 07:35:13 PDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:15:30 -0400 (EDT)
Tuc <tuc at ttsg.com> wrote:

> > I use this script to find packages which are NOT dependencies of other
> > packages:
> >
> > #/bin/sh
> > cd /var/db/pkg
> > for i in * ; do [ -e ${i}/+REQUIRED_BY ] || echo ${i} ; done
> >
> > This way you also see the packages which you installed expicitly (most
> > of them are not depended on by other packages either), but I suppose
> > you know/recognize those.
> >
> 	I ran this.... 72 of my 176 came up.
>
> 	Some that came up that I never remember installing by hand :
>
> autoconf-2.13.000227_5
> autoconf-2.57_1
> automake-1.4.5_9
> bison-1.75_2
> ezm3-1.1_1
> gmake-3.80_2
> help2man-1.33.1
> intltool-0.30_1
> ispell-3.2.06_4
> libtool-1.3.5_2
> libtool-1.4.3_3
> libtool-1.5.2_1
> qmake-3.3.1
> rpm-3.0.6_9
>

> 	I think the ezm3 is from portupgrade, ispell maybe from elm, rpm
> from linux.. Is this more that people didn't set the requirements properly?
>
> 		Thanks, Tuc/TTSG Internet Services, Inc.

I think its because they are build dependencies.  It seems that only run
dependencies are recorded in /var/db/pkg.  The sysutils/pkg_cutleaves
also only uses run dependencies.

If a build dependency is also a run dependency then its a moot
point but there are a few instances where a dependency is only
required to build a port and not required during run-time.

I didn't want to remove the build dependencies since they would
be needed for the next portupgrade.

My solution was to first create a build dependency database of
installed ports and use another script to search the database.  I'm
sure there are many ways to accomplish the same thing.

Example usages of the script:

	$ find_bld_dep.sh ezm3-1.1_1
	cvsup-16.1h (/usr/ports/net/cvsup)

	$ find_bld_dep.sh rpm-3.0.6_9
	bin2iso-1.9b_2 (/usr/ports/converters/bin2iso)
	linux-esound-0.2.22_2 (/usr/ports/audio/linux-esound)
	linux-libaudiofile-0.1.11_3 (/usr/ports/audio/linux-libaudiofile)
	linux-realplayer-8.cs2_4 (/usr/ports/multimedia/linux-realplayer)
	linux_base-7.1_7 (/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base)

Here are the scripts used:

---begin mk_bld_dep_db.sh---
#!/bin/sh
#<title>Create ports build-dependency database</title>
# db form:   version|/usr/ports/category/name|dep1|dep2|dep3|...|depN

# Set path/filename for database (change this)
filedata="/usr/home/rpratt/build_depends.db"

# Remove old database if it exists
if [ -e $filedata ]; then
  rm $filedata
fi

# Find installed ports
list=`pkg_info | awk -F " " '{print $1}'`

# Make entry in database for each installed port
for i in $list; do
  echo $i
  origin="/usr/ports/`pkg_info -qo $i`"
  cd $origin
  build_depends=`make build-depends-list`
  depends=""
  for j in $build_depends; do
    depends="$depends|$j"
  done
  echo "$i|$origin$depends">> $filedata
done
---end mk_bld_dep_db.sh---

Then I could check it with another script:

---begin find_bld_dep.sh---
#!/bin/sh
#<title>Find Build Dependencies for a Port</title>

# Location of build dependency database (change this)
database="/usr/home/rpratt/build_depends.db"

origin="/usr/ports/`pkg_info -qo $1`"

list=`grep $origin $database`

for i in $list; do
  port=`echo $i | awk -F "|" '{print $2}`
  version=`echo $i | awk -F "|" '{print $1}`

  if [ $origin != $port ]; then
    echo "$version ($port)"
  fi
done
---end find_bld_dep.sh---

Of course, you can tailor the output of the find_bld_dep.sh
script to suit your needs (or the database for that matter).
I'm sure that there are other/better ways to do this but the
scripts were a quick throw-together to clean up the ports on a
slow box.

Also, they were only written for build dependencies since
pkg_cutleaves takes care of the run dependency aspect quite well.

HTH,

Randy