1024x768 Resolution in console?

Oliver Fuchs oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de
Sun Apr 25 19:56:13 PDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Eric Crist wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I've posted this question before, and I've had some good tips on where to look
> for the right answer.  I started with man pages for syscons, vidcontrol, and
> others.  I can't figure it out.  I've been toying with this for quite a
> while, but I'm failing.  Apparently, there's a way to get a splash screen at
> boot with a resolution of 1024x768, but I can't figure that out, either.
>
> If anyone's willing to be a little more specific on where to go for the
> answers, I'd greatly appreciate it!
>
> This is for a Compaq Presario 2100 (laptop).  My beef is that my console only
> takes up a small section of the screen (although X is full screen).  I know
> some laptops have a 'stretch' capability, but, alas, I was a cheap bastard,
> and this one does not.

An acceptable resolution is VESA_800x600 (I do not think that the kernel can
do mor at the moment?). To enable it you have to tecompile your kernel with
option SC_OIXEL_MODE enabled (so you can use the raster text mode).
Then load the vesa support with kldload vesa and try
"vidconrtol -g 100x37 VESA_800x600".

If it is o.k. for you put in your /etc/rc.conf file:
allscreens_flags="-g 100x37 VESA_800x600"
and add to /boot/loader.conf:
vesa_load="YES" to load the vesa module at startup.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit