Problems with 5.2.1 Release

Matt Anderson emattman at cascadeaccess.com
Sat Apr 24 21:45:45 PDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I've got an older computer.  PIII 450.  Riva TNT 2 video.  Plenty of
RAM.

Couple of issues.  First, let me say that I've been using FreeBSD off
and on since version 3.

1.  1st hardrive has Windows XP on it.  Full Drive.  2nd drive is
devoted to FreeBSD.  Boot manager, unlike older versions, seems to
always change the active partition when I boot into FreeBSD thus after a
reboot I have to boot from a DOS floppy and make the XP partition on the
1st drive active so the computer can boot.  I've done several installs
over the last couple of days and can not seem to find a way around this.

2.  I WAS having a problem with the machine freezing every time I
started X.  I read in the erata about the ACIP problems and got around
that.  However, when I created a "custom" kernel, and all I did was add
the pcm driver so I could have sound, the machine freezes on boot while
accessing the ethernet card.  3Com card that works fine with the Generic
kernel.  That has me completely stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I did not have the same sort of
problems with this machine with 5.1 release or any of the 4.x series.

Thanks!

Matt Anderson