Items missing from the handbook and/or FAQs.

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Fri Apr 23 20:15:23 PDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 04:47:01PM -0400, Charles Swiger wrote:
> I'll make a try at answering the issues you raise, but the best way of
> handling missing documentation is to submit PR's which update the
> manpages or the Handbook with something better.

When I know what something better is, sure...

> ...and I could repeat this with a few other Unix systems and not find a
> "iwconfig" on them, either.  ifconfig ought to be used for configuring
> network interfaces, IMO.

Frankly, I agree with you 100%.  But it isn't intuitive and documenting
it wouldn't hurt.

> I believe the PPP section of the handbook has a discussion of start_if.

Because I'd be looking under PPP for wireless configuration? <giggle>

> >4. Why is xdm still listed as the way to set up X?
> >
> >Okay, I'm certain that a bunch of people will respond to tell me that
> >gnome
> >and kde are evil and should be destroyed, but the vast majority of
> >people
> >are expecting modern graphical interfaces.
>
> If so, why would they want to use X?
>
> Fifteen years ago, Sun with NeWS and NeXT/Adobe with Display PostScript
> solved problems that still plague X-- things like transparency, or a
> unified imaging model that works with printing too, or font support
> that doesn't suck.

Okay, so keep making my point for me.  How do you enable these? ;-)
(okay, so I'm just teasing you now)

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett at Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.