How to repair a system?

Daan Hoogland bsd at onecht.net
Fri Apr 23 08:13:43 PDT 2004

On 23-apr-04, at 17:01, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Daan Hoogland wrote:
>
>> Once again,...
>>
>> I have a system on which make buildworld won't work.
> Why doesn't it work?

crunchgen: make error: cd: can't cd to
/usr/obj/usr/5.2/src/rescue/rescue/../../contrib/tcsh/nls/spanish

crunchgen: make error: cd: can't cd to
/usr/obj/usr/5.2/src/rescue/rescue/../../contrib/tcsh/nls/ukrainian

Run "make -f rescue.mk" to build crunched binary.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/5.2/src/rescue/rescue.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/5.2/src/rescue.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/5.2/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/5.2/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/5.2/src.

I include text from an earlier posting here:

On 29-mrt-04, at 11:36, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> * Daan Hoogland <bsd at onecht.net> [20040329 11:56]: wrote:
>> ls,
>>
>> I am building the cvs version of freebsd on a openbrick machine. My
>> present installation is a 5.0 version with a broken su. su - gives a
>> bus error. When i throw away usr/obj and usr/src, cvsup all possible
>> things, and do a make build world, the machine works for a day or so
>> and then stops. First I had with the following messages:
>

> Don't run -CURRENT.
> Use RELENG_5_2 for cvsup.

After another day of tiring waiting I can say that this approach makes
no difference, except that I now get the first error again:

crunchgen: make error: cd: can't cd to
/usr/obj/usr/src/rescue/rescue/../../contrib/tcsh/nls/ukrainian

Run "make -f rescue.mk" to build crunched binary.
*** Error code 1

as before: Some other languages preceding and some levels of nested
makes following.