newbie question: Gnome 2.6 upgrade

Joshua Lokken joshua at twobirds.us
Fri Apr 23 01:03:02 PDT 2004

* Lucas Holt <Luke at FoolishGames.com> [2004-04-22 11:32]:

> The problem only seems to be with X11.  I tried running several commands in
> console mode that I can normally run from any location and they all worked
> fine.  so far startx seems to be the only thing that won't run like it used

This could be for naught, but what does 'xinit' do for you?

> to.  I read something about shells having to be rehashed to update the PATH
> lines?  I run in bash if that makes a difference.
>
> ____
>
> If I'm not mistaken, you only need to run rehash with a csh not sh/bash.
> Besides, you said the machine rebooted.  The path should be correct then.

Right and right.  Rehash is a [t]csh builtin, not present in Bourne
shells, and yep, if the machine was rebooted (or the user logged out),
then the point is moot.

--
Joshua

"You can't treat the working man this way! One day we'll form
 a union, and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve!
 Then, we'll get corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will
 eat us alive!"                --Anonymous Simpsons character