newsyslog and apache

Tim Aslat tim at spyderweb.com.au
Thu Apr 22 20:24:06 PDT 2004

In the immortal words of "Noah" <admin2 at enabled.com>...
> Okay this looks like a viable option.  can rotatelogs also age out and
> delete log files that are older than 30 days?  And does it compress
> the log files as well?

No, but it isn't hard to come up with a script to proces the logs in any
way you see fit.  Regardless of what you choose to do to the logs, you
don't have to restart apache, which I thought was the main object of
your question.

The main advantage to doing it this way is that the logs will be pretty
much rotated simultaneously by apache, so a couple of minutes after it's
scheduled, you can run a script to compress, analyse, delete or whatever
the rotated logfile.

Cheers

Tim

--