Keeping Ports synchronised with Packages

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Apr 22 10:40:02 PDT 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 08:01 am, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 02:57:53PM +0100, Richard Bradley wrote:
<snip>

> Absolutely.  Now, where are you getting the pre-compiled packages
> from?  If it's from one of the 4-Disk FreeBSD CD Rom sets, then yes,
> you're going to have problems with file versions as there have been
> updates to a number of major software systems gone into the ports
> tree in the 4 months or so since 4.9-RELEASE.
>
> On the other hand, if you're downloading the packages from the ftp
> sites, you should be within a week or two of the latest versions.
> Take a look at, eg:
>

> http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/
>packages-4-stable/Latest/
>
> (if you want to access that server for your FTP'ing needs, it's also
> known as ftp2.uk.freebsd.org)
>
> That shows you all of the packages for 4-STABLE that have been
> updated since 4.9-RELEASE came out. (There's a similar directory
> structure for the 5.x packages).  Looks like there was a new batch
> produced on 11th April, including the KDE packages:
>

> http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/
>packages-4-stable/Latest/kde.tgz
>
> That gets you kde-3.2.1_1 The ports tree is currently at kde-3.2.2 --
> like you say, a minor version number behind.  Unfortunately, that's
> just the way things are: the project only has a limited capacity to
> keep compiling new packages when ports get updated, especially since
> they're producing packages for both 4.x and 5.x at the moment.  Also,
> sometime soon the new package set for 4.10-RELEASE will be produced,
> which means compiling *everything* in the ports tree from scratch.
>
> You should be able to get all of the dependencies of KDE etc. as
> precompiled packages -- using:
>
>     # pkg_add -r kde
>
> will try and download everything required.
>
> I should note that you're particularly unlucky right now with both
> KDE and Gnome having gone through some major updates just recently.
> Usually the lag between the port coming out and the updated package
> doesn't affect such a large proportion of all of the available
> ports/packages.

A fix for kde is on Fruitsalad

Last stable version build

3.2.2 Packages
i386 4-STABLE (Posted Tue April 20 01:47 CET 2004)
Packages: http://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/packages/3.2.2-final-3/4-STABLE

PACKAGESITE:
http://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/packages/3.2.2-final-3/4-STABLE/Latest/

While I was downloading the source tarballs from a mirror in Oregon, I
updated the computer I am using right now defining the packagsite
option.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart