verizon dsl connexn

Mike Maltese mike at pcmedx.com
Wed Apr 21 19:04:50 PDT 2004

> i have verizon dsl service using macronix nic.  free bsd unleashed book,
> man pages and install man dont say how to set this up.  my provider
> gives dns address automatically.  linux rpppoe works fine.  does bsd
> have equivalent? i can boot into grub but get warning about not being
> connected to bsd....  other than dsl internet service i am not networked
> per se so network setup questions are difficult to answer.

As far as I know, Verizon uses DHCP to assign addresses, etc. You shouldn't
need to fool with PPPoE.
Take a look here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dhcp.html

If you're sure you have a PPPoE connection, this may be helpful:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html

In the future, keep in mind that taking the time to write up an intelligible
question will greatly improve your odds of receiving useful help.