Need vinum info/advice, fast.

Shaun T. Erickson ste at smxy.org
Wed Apr 21 14:28:47 PDT 2004

A client has hired me to do some work, part of which is replacing Red
Hat 9, which is end-of-lifed at the end of this month. I'd convinced him
to let me install FreeBSD, right up until I told him that - to my
knowledge - you cannot trivially set up software raid on FreeBSD, during
install, as you can with Red Hat Linux.

I'm supposed to build the new server tomorrow. *Is* there any way I can
set up software raid of two ide disks, during install, and for all
partitions? This is just to mirror the system disk, so that we can avoid
downtime, and going to backups in case of a disk failure. If it can be
done, how do I do it? I've never used vinum before, and only know what
it is, but nothing about it.

I wish I had more than one night to figure this out, but I don't. If it
isn't FreeBSD, he going to likely want me to install Fedora Core 2
Linux, instead.

TIA,
	-ste