Filesystem size limit

Tim McMillen taxman at freedombi.com
Tue Apr 20 21:14:31 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 20:10, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> hal wrote:
>
> > A coworker is bumping up against the one terabyte
> > file system size limit of Redhat Linux.  He needs
> > more space.  Can FreeBSD help?  Where would I look
> > for info?

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-April/001444.html

describes the new filesystem in the 5.x versions.  it notes that:
"It adds 64 bit block pointers (breaking the 1T barrier)"
It would be more accurate to say obliterate, since 64 bit pointers goes
up to petabytes if memory serves me right.
But for now, one would have to put up with the -current nature of 5.x.
Make sure to read the early adopters guide and www.freebsd.org/handbook
for what that means.

Tim