KDE 3.2/Xwindows dying strangely without warning

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 16:59:44 PDT 2004

>Ok, I can't contribute this to anything I've ever encountered or
>something that I'm doing, but it seems that after about 7-10 days KDE
>just dies on me.  No crash, no errors, no "I'm gonna shut down".
>Nothing.  I will be working along and then suddenly it's just not there.

>Even the logs show nothing.  No core dumps, no memory errors, not even
>an Xwindows shutting down message.

I had this happen to me today.  I clicked on a link in konq, the drive
started spinning and everything else locked up. A few minutes later
X died and I was back at the kdm screen. I found this in
/var/log/messages   ...

Apr 18 13:12:21 homer /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
Apr 18 13:12:22 homer /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
Apr 18 13:12:22 homer /kernel: pid 66243 (XFree86), uid 0, was killed: out
of swap space
Apr 18 13:12:33 homer kdm[209]: X server for display :0 terminated
unexpectedly

I guess it's a good thing that X gets killed instead of having to reboot,
but...
aagh!  There must have been some other process causing the problem.