what things can cause yppasswd failure?

Jin Guojun [NCS] j_guojun at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 20 14:29:13 PDT 2004

We have experience very strange problem on using NIS over FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x.
Some uses can change passwd where other users cannot.

case 1:    Use FreeBSD 5.1 as NIS server -- NIS client is a FreeBSD 4.9 host
I can change my passwd any time and any where, and most people cannot.
If I change my home directory to anywhere else in the master.passwd file,
re-make in /var/yp directory, then I cannot change my passwd any more.
It causes yppasswdd dying on signal 11, which most users encountered.

case 2: Use FreeBSD 4.10-BETA as NIS server -- same NIS client
I have no problem to change passwd, other users do. Failure will not
kill yppasswdd, but it returns following error:

passwd: failed to change NIS password: RPC: Server can't decode arguments

After this message I still can change my passwd.  Also, changing my home
directory in /var/yp/master.passwd and re-making DO NOT AFFECT
me to change passwd.

Does any one know what could cause such weird NIS problem?
It seems not ENV related problem (may be). Is there some known
NIS issues?

    -Jin