kernel config optimized

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Apr 19 12:32:33 PDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

>The following is a copy of my kernel config file. I am trying to optimize it as
>much as possible.
>
>do i need any of these psudo devices?
>pseudo-device loop     # Network loopback

Most people would leave this in.  I've no idea
what might break without it, but I'll wager something
might ... for example, what would you think of a box
that couldn't find "localhost" with both hands?  No lo,
that's what you might well get ....

>pseudo-device ether    # Ethernet support
>pseudo-device sl 1     # Kernel SLIP
>pseudo-device ppp 1    # Kernel PPP
>pseudo-device tun      # Packet tunnel.

"tun" is necessary for userland PPP.  If you
take out "tun", "ppp", and "ether" as well
as SLIP, what protocols do you figure on
using?  Are you planning on connecting to
anything? (Note that I'm not saying there's
no other way, but these are so common ....)

>pseudo-device pty      # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)

I may be wrong, but wouldn't removing this
cause remote access (most of it, ftp, telnet,
ssh, etc.) to fail?

>pseudo-device md       # Memory "disks"
>pseudo-device gif      # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
>pseudo-device faith 1  # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
>pseudo-device   splash
>
>do i need any of these devices?
>device atadisk             # ATA disk drives

I suppose not if your disks are SCSI.

>device atapicd             # ATAPI CDROM drives

If no CDROM, or you have a SCSI CDROM, I guess not.

>options     ATA_STATIC_ID  # Static device numbering
>

>Thanks,
>
>Brian

Most of your list is stuff that is generally standard
and fairly essential ... if you've minimized down this
far, I'd say you're getting close to small enough, wouldn't
you?

Kevin Kinsey