sshd: cannot disable password authentication, users can alwayslogin with password.

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Sun Apr 18 23:40:28 PDT 2004

Hello. I'm today following the FreeBSD security how to
<http://www.it.daemonnews.org/200108/security-howto.html> to secury my
FreeBSD server. I configured dsa ssh access, now I can use my own
computer to login to the server with ssh with dsa no problem, no
password authentication is necessary. Following the guide I edit
/etc/ssh/sshd_config and made sure

PasswordAuthentication no

But I tried restart sshd and even reboot the server, I can always login
with password on any other computer.

Please drop me a hint.

Here is my server's configuration:

 > uname -a
FreeBSD dino.realss 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 29
04:29:22 CST 2004
zhangweiwu at dino.realss:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/DINO  i386
 > cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config
#       $OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.59 2002/09/25 11:17:16 markus Exp $
#       $FreeBSD: src/crypto/openssh/sshd_config,v 1.33 2003/09/24
19:20:23 des Exp $

# This is the sshd server system-wide configuration file.  See
# sshd_config(5) for more information.

# This sshd was compiled with PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

# The strategy used for options in the default sshd_config shipped with
# OpenSSH is to specify options with their default value where
# possible, but leave them commented.  Uncommented options change a
# default value.

# Note that some of FreeBSD's defaults differ from OpenBSD's, and
# FreeBSD has a few additional options.

#VersionAddendum FreeBSD-20030924

Port 22
Protocol 2
#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
#ListenAddress ::

# HostKey for protocol version 1
#HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
# HostKeys for protocol version 2
#HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

# Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
#KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
#ServerKeyBits 768

# Logging
#obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
#SyslogFacility AUTH
#LogLevel INFO

# Authentication:

#LoginGraceTime 120
PermitRootLogin no
StrictModes yes

RSAAuthentication no
PubkeyAuthentication yes
#AuthorizedKeysFile     .ssh/authorized_keys

# rhosts authentication should not be used
RhostsAuthentication no
# Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
#IgnoreRhosts yes
# For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
#RhostsRSAAuthentication no
# similar for protocol version 2
#HostbasedAuthentication no
# Change to yes if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
# RhostsRSAAuthentication and HostbasedAuthentication
#IgnoreUserKnownHosts no

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
PasswordAuthentication no
PermitEmptyPasswords no

# Change to no to disable PAM authentication
#ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes

# Kerberos options
KerberosAuthentication no
KerberosOrLocalPasswd no
#KerberosTicketCleanup yes

#AFSTokenPassing no

# Kerberos TGT Passing only works with the AFS kaserver
#KerberosTgtPassing no

X11Forwarding yes
#X11DisplayOffset 10
#X11UseLocalhost yes
#PrintMotd yes
#PrintLastLog yes
#KeepAlive yes
#UseLogin no
#UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
#PermitUserEnvironment no
#Compression yes

#MaxStartups 10
# no default banner path
#Banner /some/path
#VerifyReverseMapping no

# override default of no subsystems
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/libexec/sftp-server