Kernel debugging question

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 18 15:48:42 PDT 2004

On Sunday, 18 April 2004 at 20:01:46 +0200, Jorn Argelo wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I've been trying to debug my kernel. I've successfully extracted a kernel dump
> as described in the development handbook. However, as soon as I come across
> this step, I don't know how to continue:
>
> # cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNCONF
> # gdb -k /boot/kernel/kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.0
>
> The problem is, kernel.debug doesn't exist at all.

This means you didn't build one.

> I did an locate.updatedb as root and try to find it then, but I
> still couldn't find it. Hopefully somebody can point me into the
> right direction

First you need to build a debug kernel.  This probably means that the
dump you have is "the one that got away".  You could do some limited
analysis of the stripped kernel, but that's Deep Magic.

> (I used
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html)

You might take a look at
http://www.lemis.com/papers/Taiwan/tutorial.pdf, which is a little
more update.  Note, though, that it's still a draft.  If you see any
mistakes, please contact me.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.