5-Current on Pentium-I with old hardware: still risky?

Rob nospam at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 18 06:33:50 PDT 2004

Olaf Hoyer wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Rob wrote:
>
>>When I read about problems with early adoption of 5.X, I mainly
>>encounter risks related to extremely large RAM, multi processors,
>>or very new hardware.
>>
>>My simple and old Pentium-1 PC may therefore a very low risk system for
>>installing 5-Current. Is that right? Or am making a big mistake here?
>

> So I would say, that your hardware (given that there are more than 16MB
> RAM in there) will run fine.

This Pentium-1 system already runs 4-stable.
For bumping it up to 5-current, would a cvsup of the sources with "tag=."
be sufficient? Or is an install from scratch recommended when moving
from 4-stable to 5-current? Bear in mind that these are going to be my
first steps into 5-current!

I realize I may have trouble with already installed ports, but there
are only few so far.

Rob.