sendmail/strace hanging

Cory Petkovsek cory at adaptableit.com
Sat Apr 17 16:50:00 PDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 08:29:38AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Hmmm... Very strange.  I wonder if it's sendmail causing the effect at
> all -- sounds like it might be something more systemic.  Do you have
> ACPI enabled?  Could it be that the system is throttling the CPU under
> load -- perhaps to keep the CPU cool?

Possibly, but I have not had any further problems once it started working
again.  I have it configured as I want it, so I won't worry about it until it
happens again.  I have noticed sendmail blocking as I send a message through
mutt.  I presume this is caused by dns lookups, but it is nearly always brief.

strace still blocks if I just say:
$ strace cat file

It blocks, but will jump start if I 'ctrl+z' and 'fg'.
ioctl(3, PIOCWAIT

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to Your