Beginning C++ in FreeBSD

Kai Grossjohann kai at emptydomain.de
Sat Apr 17 11:10:11 PDT 2004

Daniela <dgw at liwest.at> writes:

> On Friday 16 April 2004 20:31, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>> Daniela <dgw at liwest.at> writes:
>> > What? C++ code is converted to C? Which compiler are you using, and
>> > why the hell would a compiler do this?
>>
>> In the old days, C++ was implemented by a program called cfront, I
>> believe, and it did convert C++ to C.
>>
>> If you can write a program that converts language X to C, then you get
>> to take advantage of all the nifty optimizing C compilers out there.
>> If you try to go the direct route to compiling into machine language,
>> then you need to do the optimization part yourself.  So converting
>> into C as an intermediary language is an option that requires less
>> work.
>
> There's no harm in doing the optimizing yourself. If you compile directly,
> then you can optimize much more because you can take advantage of the
> structure of the language. Two different languages always have different
> strengths and weak points.

What I was trying to say is that using C as an intermediary language
reduces effort.  Of course it is /possible/ to do the optimizing
yourself, it is just more work.

I think that "reducing effort" is a pretty damn good reason for doing
something in a specific way.  I hope that answers your "why the hell"
question.

> BTW, when I need somthing optimized, I'll do it in assembly anyway.

*cough*

Kai