Beginning C++ in FreeBSD

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Sat Apr 17 02:56:25 PDT 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 21:52, Lucas Holt wrote:
> > Why would one need C++ if it's converted to C anyway?
>
> C++ is useful for programmers that believe in object oriented
> methodologies.  Some things are easier to do in C++ as well.  It all
> depends on the programmer.
>
> You seem to favor assembly languages.  I've found that many people into
> assembly never seem to get OO and therefore languages like C++ and Java
> make no sense to them.   Assembly *can be* fast but its not portable.
> C was created to make unix portable.  C++ was created to add OO
> features to C.  (as was objective c)

I do program in C++ quite often and it does make sense to me. I know seven
programming languages and which one I use depends on the program, as I find
them all easy. OO languages can be optimized differently than non-OO
languages, and when you translate one language into another, this advantage
gets lost.

I would rather say, assembly is fast and can be portable, if it's done
properly. Yes, it is an unforgiving language, but I think beginning
programmers need exactly that.

Daniela