How do I eliminate resolver delay??

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Fri Apr 16 14:47:20 PDT 2004

> Re: How do I eliminate resolver delay??
> From:
> Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
> Date:
> Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:12:58 +0100
> To:
> peter lageotakes <plageotakes at yahoo.com>
>
> To:
> peter lageotakes <plageotakes at yahoo.com>
> CC:
> freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:06:48AM -0700, peter lageotakes wrote:
> : FYI:  If I remember correctly, running dhcpd
> : overwrites the resolve.conf.
>
> That's what caused my problem.  I need a way to restore it when using the
> other network with assigned IPs.
>

> jm

Your situation is identical to mine, I have a wireless card I use for my
  home network with DHCP, and an Ethernet card for school on a fixed-IP
network. I've thought about using enter and exit hooks with the
dhclient, but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

Maybe having an exit hook that sets resolv.conf up for the fixed-IP
nameservers whenever the wireless link is taken down? Since it's
automatically set up when dhclient first assigns an IP you don't really
need an entry hook, but if you want to do some fancy checks (for a
connection on the Ether card, for instance) I guess you could set one
up. And let's not forget the routing tables. Rather than having it in
rc.conf, maybe throwing that into entry and exit hooks to set up the
default gateway for the wireless is a good idea as well?

But like I said, I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. If you
beat me to it, do tell how it worked out, ok? ;-)

-Henrik W Lund