upgrading Gnome components using portupgrade

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri Apr 16 13:44:55 PDT 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 12:42 pm, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:52:04 -0700, Kent Stewart <kstewart at owt.com>
wrote:
> > On Friday 16 April 2004 11:39 am, sAndri Kok wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> I have what I believe are Gnome components installed on my
> >> computer (gimp, Gconf, gtk, glib, etc). I'm running portupgrade
> >> now and I read the message that I should upgrade Gnome using the
> >> script provided by FreeBSD Gnome. The question is, if I only have
> >> parts of Gnome installed, while I'm using fluxbox as window
> >> manager, do I need to run the script? or is portupgrade fine? my
> >> portupgrade is currently still running and I don't seem to
> >> encounter any problem (yet).
> >
> > I also run that way and from my experience the odds are pretty high
> > that something will be done out of order. I did a portupgrade -pufr
> > glib to do the upgrade and had a few problems that I had to
> > manually update. I understand from other comments that re-running
> > the upgrade script makes the update go faster than a -rf glib. If
> > you look at ports that you have installed that depend on glib, the
> > list seems to go forever. I don't know if a -pufrR glib would have
> > prevented the problems but that would have used even more computer
> > time to do the update. I think the AMD 2400+ needed something like
> > 13 hours to do the update the way I did it.
>
> I personal would go for rebuild everything that depend on pkg-config
> instead glib, because of libxml2, libxslt and etc that don't depend
> on glib.

I think that is close to the overkill -rRfa. You only want to update the
ports that should be updated. It hasn't been that long since I did a
-rf expat. I feel strongly about updating all dependancies of
libraries. That is one of the fine features of make in the programming
world. If you modify a library, it updates everything that uses it. It
just isn't always necessary.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart