How to capture/record virtual console output?

Mike addymin at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 16 11:53:03 PDT 2004

Greetings:

System: FreeBSD 4.9-stable

KDE (3.14) is crashing on me and I need to capture the error messages
(so that I can submit my problem to the this mailing list).

I'm logged in as root. And I'm in tty0.  KDE crashes (core dump) and
produces several error messages along with mention of the file
"/var/log/XFree86.0.log".

I checked the contents of "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" and it does not
contain the error messages produced by the crashing KDE.

So I need to find a way grab or capture the text output generated from
the crash.

I've tried opening pico in tty1 and using the mouse in tty0 to highlight
(and place in the buffer?) the error messages on tty0.  No go. It's
either that the buffer gets cleared when switching between tty0 and tty1
or that highlighting the text via mouse isn't working.

I've gone through 2-years worth of FreeBSD mailing list messages but I
can't seem to come up with solution.

Hints?  Thank you.

Michael Chinn