How do I eliminate resolver delay??

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 06:54:58 PDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 02:23:11PM +0100, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> Since I started my wireless network, I am getting odd delays when starting
> apps that I am told is the resolver.  With the wired network, this does not
> happen.

> I've had ssh take longer than normal, I've had X take 3 minutes, and today
> Xemacs didn't start so I shut it down and rebooted without the network.  It
> came right up.

Hmmm... This could be due to packet loss on your wireless network.
DNS, being a UDP protocol in the main, can't distinguish between
"response lost in transit" and "no response made by server", so it has
to sit and wait for the timeout before trying again.

You should be able to tcpdump(1) the port 53 traffic from your caching
DNS (or the DNS traffic out of your LAN, if you don't run your own
DNS), and cross reference that with the traffic generated by one of
your client machines, in order to get clues about exactly where things
are going wrong.

> Of course, 'batcave.org' is not a registered domain name.

Oh yes it is... Just not your registered domain name.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way