CUPS

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Thu Apr 15 11:13:48 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 05:21:22PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Having looked at the mind-boggling amount of configuration information
> that is in the Handbook, I decided to just install CUPS. I'm very familiar
> with CUPS, having configured it many times in Linux.
>
> So I installed the CUPS daemon, and started it by going to
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ and renaming the sample file to cups.sh. I even did a
> "./cups.sh start" and that worked - that is, my printer reacted by moving
> the print head, and I could fire up Mozilla and type
> "http://localhost:631" and then reach the CUPS configuration page. My
> printer is an Epson 24-pin dot-matrix onf /dev/lpt0 - there is a driver
> for that, so no problem. So that should be enough to make it work - at
> least that would do the job under Linux. But attempting to print a test
> page gives me nothing.
>
> The Handbook says almost zilch about CUPS other than suggesting that one
> should look at cups.org for advice. Of course, cups.org has little to say
> about BSD.
>
> So I'm wondering what I did wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Do you see any contents in /var/log/cups/ ? Any clues there?

What about /usr/local/etc/cups/? What does your cupsd.conf say about
your printer? I don't have root on my home box just now; but IIRC that
file is the one to alter. The alterations to /etc/printcap will follow
from /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf; but I dont' recall if that is
the file to alter, rather than the cupsd.conf file; perhaps you will
need to edit both, or use the web interface for configuration, which
will write the appropriate entries in the files for you.

Can you find any clues in /usr/local/share/doc/cups/? That's where I
found my answers; there and google.