CUPS

Derrick Ryalls freebsd at fbsdsolutions.com
Thu Apr 15 10:52:03 PDT 2004

> Robert Storey wrote:
>
> >Dear all,
> >
> >Having looked at the mind-boggling amount of configuration
> information
> >that is in the Handbook, I decided to just install CUPS. I'm very
> >familiar with CUPS, having configured it many times in Linux.
> >
> >So I installed the CUPS daemon, and started it by going to
> >/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ and renaming the sample file to cups.sh. I even
> >did a "./cups.sh start" and that worked - that is, my
> printer reacted
> >by moving the print head, and I could fire up Mozilla and type
> >"http://localhost:631" and then reach the CUPS configuration
> page. My
> >printer is an Epson 24-pin dot-matrix onf /dev/lpt0 - there
> is a driver
> >for that, so no problem. So that should be enough to make it
> work - at
> >least that would do the job under Linux. But attempting to
> print a test
> >page gives me nothing.
> >
> >The Handbook says almost zilch about CUPS other than suggesting that
> >one should look at cups.org for advice. Of course, cups.org
> has little
> >to say about BSD.
> >
> >So I'm wondering what I did wrong? Any help is appreciated.
> >
> >best regards,
> >Robert
> >

> I'm a definite newbie when it comes to printing; but I'll
> take a shot (hopefully you're taking that first sentence
> under advisement) in the hopes that keeping the thread
> alive will get you what you need before too many days
> pass.  Probably these questions are more to satisfy my
> curiosity than to give help ... but let's go:
>
> First, what command are you using to attempt to print
> the test page?
>
> Secondly, what does your entry for the printer look like
> in /etc/printcap?
>
> Anything in your logs?  /var/log/messages, perhaps...
>
> Lastly, did you restart the daemon?
>
>     $lpc restart all
>
> Like I said; I may be off base here, but maybe there's
> food for thought; at the very least maybe somebody
> else can grab the ball and run with it

http://www.freebsddiary.org/cups.php

I no longer use CUPS myself, but when I had it setup, I had to make sure the
system lp* files where chmod'ed to -x so that the CUPS version would be used
instead.  The above link suggests moving /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin in
your path, but that just doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings.